Youth L.E.A.D. Miami: Careers
Youth L.E.A.D.is hiring a Youth Manager to start immediately. This position will beging as a part-time position (20 hours per week) but will grow into a full-time position by March 2013. Please read the job description below, including "how to apply", and research our web site before applying.
Youth L.E.A.D. is seeking a dynamic, engaging, responsible, hardworking, self-motivated person to oversee all youth programming for the organization. The Youth Manager is responsible for: implementing the 12-week afterschool youth curriculum at 1-3 sites per year (training approximately 100 youth each year); coordinating out-of-school youth activities, field trips, guest speakers, and apprenticeships; acting as a liaison with parents and schools; supervising and engaging youth during community outreach, farmer’s markets, cooking and gardening efforts; and tracking and reporting on progress.
- Recruit 20-40 youth each summer to begin Fall Programming in September.
- Partner with existing and new youth-serving partners to deliver curriculum to additional youth each summer.
- Implement the 12-week afterschool curriculum from September through December (weekly 2-hour session) for at least 20 youth each week.
- Track attendance and youth retention rates.
- Coordinate guest speakers , field trips, and food demonstrations for afterschool program.
- Develop “Teen lounge” and youth drop-in center space and activities with youth input at new site (projected for mid 2013).
- Identify youth apprentices from among the training participants, based on behavior, attendance, and interest.
- Train (and/or coordinate training from outside parties) youth apprentices in community outreach, gardening, farmer’s market management, and cornerstore deliveries.
- Identify and train youth peer educators to conduct peer education workshops.
- Administer pre- and post-assessments and surveys among youth.
- Ensure youth participants’ parents sign parent permission and photo waiver form.
- Schedule and lead monthly parent meetings, which should always include an educational component (food demo or guest speaker)
- Follow up with youth as needed to address behavior issues or challenges to regular attendance as well as school performance and college/job applications.
- Take pictures of youth during programming and provide to Program Director for distribution through YL social media.
- Provide monthly reports as requested concerning youth attendance, retention, behavior, challenges, parental involvement, apprentice outreach efforts, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working with youth of African- or Caribbean-American backgrounds and youth from low-income neighborhoods
- Excellent public speaking and training skills
- Behavior management and/or mediation skills
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with, local food systems and food justice strategies
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), Gmail, Facebook, Hootsuite, Twitter, and SurveyMonkey.
- Hardworker, ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- Familiarity or experience working for nonprofit organizations
- Familiarity with YL target neighborhoods: Liberty City, Little Haiti, Overtown, and Opa Locka.
- Cooking and/or gardening skills preferred
- Haitian Kreyol fluency preferred
Please send a resume AND a coverletter, outlining your experiences and why you believe you are a good fit for the job, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Youth Manager” in the subject line. Candidates invited for an interview must be able to provide proof of college graduation and 3 professional references.