Food Justice Defined
Food Justice occurs when communities grow, sell, access, and/or eat food that is healthy, fresh, nutritious, affordable, culturally-appropriate, and locally-grown. Click here to read YL's community findings report, based on participatory research conducted by youth apprentices among residents.
Local Food is food that is consumed within 100 miles of where it is grown. For Florida, this would include food grown in the Keys up to Lake Okeechobee.
Where to find fresh, locally-grown, organic & sustainably-grown fruits, vegetables, flowers and baked goods: FM_list.pdf
Most local farmers' markets accept food stamps and even offer a 2-for-1 discount for customers using an EBT card.
Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA)
Buy a share of a local farm, pay for the season upfront, and get a box of fresh, local, seasonal produce and farm products for an unbeatable price.
- BeeHeaven Farm: www.redlandorganics.com
- Teena's Pride: www.teenaspridecsa.com
- Little River: www.littlerivercsa.com
- Once Uon a Carrot: www.wholesomegrocer.com
- Annie's Organic Buying Club: www.anniesbuyingclub.com
Grow your own food or native plants with your neighborhoods on public or shared land.
- Victory Garden, South Beach: www.southbeachvictorygarden.com
- Liberty City Women's Patch, 1590 NW 54 Street www.urbangreenworks.org
- Little Haiti Community Garden, 5804 NW 2nd Ave, Miami
- North Beach Community Garden, 7350 Dickens Ave, Miami Beach
- Heroes Unite Garden in Enchanted Forest Park, 1725 NE 135th Street, North Miami
Youth L.E.A.D. will host 4 cooking classes for adults starting in October. All classes will be taught by local, celebrity chefs and will include 3 vegetarian, healthy, and/or "live food" recipes that highlight locally-grown, seasonal ingredients. Classes will be 3 hours long and a buffet. Class fees are $60/person and include a YL Recipe & Resource Book and reusable tote bag. All proceeds support YL after-school and youth employment programs. Please register here or email youthleadmiami [at] gmail.com to receive updates.
- Healthy, Happy, Life Vegan Blog http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/
- Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine: http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/
- Raw, Live Foods: http://sistahintheraw.wordpress.com/
- Compassionate Living: http://vegan.com/ultimate-vegan-guide/
- American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/DietandNutrition/vegetarianism
- Effect of food Choices on the Environment: http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/a0701e/a0701e00.htm
- Health and Environmental Benefits of Eating Local: http://100milediet.org/why-eat-local
- Take the quiz and see how eco-friendly you are! http://calc.zerofootprint.net/youth/
- Compost at home and reduce waste: http://www.homecompostingmadeeasy.com/foodscraps.html
- FL Eco-friendly gardening, rain barrels, compost and more: http://solutionsforyourlife.ifas.ufl.edu/